Style is being yourself on purpose – whether you are pregnant, new mum or a mama on the run with children.
Maternity is definitely a Style Challenge I remember well.
Firstly there is the way your body changes – for both of mine I put on 17 kilos and went from Bust size 34AA to 34D.
As someone who loves clothes and fashion – I no longer fit the majority of them but despite the challenges I realised that I needed to express a piece of myself in what I was wearing every.. single.. day.
It didn’t have to be much but the difference it made was huge to my mindset, energy levels and mood.
The landscape for maternity wear has changed considerably in 8 years but there are heaps of things you will think you need but don’t. A close friend and stylish client came to me last week as she is struggling with what to wear. So for those who are pregnant at the moment and heading into Autumn this post is for you all.
5 STYLE TIPS
1) Make the most of what you already have that you love – and do a Price Per Wear for maternity pieces that feel like “you” depending on your lifestyle, budget and working environment.
2) Buy one size up in normal clothes stores – works for most pieces rather than buying cheap poor quality maternity.
3) Dare More Care Less – choose statement pieces and prints – often women have more confidence to just flaunt what they have got when pregnant this habit will run into post pregnancy if you play now.
4) Start to develop a diverse, interesting & fun flat shoe collection – this will see you in good stead from 3rd trimester – school run dropoffs.
5) Recycle, Swap & Borrow More from friends – do a FB shoutout – most women do not want to look at what they wore during maternity.
THE TOP 15 PIECES YOU WILL NEED (Autumn/Winter Baby)
- Maternity blue jeans (worn to death right into post partum – 1st year of baby even when I got back into my other jeans)
- Maternity black jeans or black smart pants – great for work
- Maternity bras ( I always got nursing bras so that they multitasked come bub and I got them beginning of final trimester and just before bub was born)The rest I found in normal stores or already in my wardrobe.
- Couple of longline tanks/Tshirts/long sleeve
- Tops /shirts that can layer over longline tanks
- Black /Patterned stretchy /ponte skirt
- Black/Khaki/Striped stretchy body con dress
- Shirt or Shift Dress
- Longline trench, patterned statement coat, coatigan, cape
- Jackets (slouchy blazer, something patterned/kimono, leather)
- Couple of scarves, jewellry, hats, beanie, beret – add interest to make that outfit
- Maternity or comfy one size up opaque tights – to get the most out of summer dresses etc.
- Flat brogues, pointed flats, ankle boots, trainers /skate shoes, block heels.
Check out my
How to do Maternity in Style
Pinterest Board for more outfitinspo
OUTFIT FORMULA #1
dress + jacket + shoes/boots
- Stretchy cotton /elastane bodycon dresses that usually you wouldn’t dare wear because they cling to every curve – they work wonders when you’re pregnant as they cling to the bump – check out cheaper stores like Cotton On, Asos, Kmart Target etc – definitely a black one.
- Shirt Dress – great for when the bub comes too for breastfeeding !
- Shift Dress – see how Fearne pairs with blazer for cool work chic – these will be no use come baby so borrow and use what you have.
OUTFIT FORMULA #2
Top + Layer + pants + shoes
Notice how a longline coat or cardigan changes the look completely. Most of these pieces can be in your wardrobe or bought in a normal store just one size up.
Tailored layers ups the sleek factor
Notice how the choice of shoes holds the key for a very different feel.
12 Maternity Style Icons
The main players in Maternity Wear
Asos Maternity – great for dresses, on trend pieces and affordable.
TopShop Maternity – good jeans, great on trend and fun fashion pieces.
Next Direct – UK brand now in Australia online – great basics
H&M Maternity – good for jeans, on trend pieces
Hatch – modern maternity pieces
M & S – British stalwart for underwear and staples
GAP maternity – more preppy and classic styles
Boden Maternity – UK label wit great prints and classic shapes
Isabella Oliver – great for dresses and special pieces
Some cool Independent Maternity Brands to check out on IG and online:
Also Check out
Some Maternity Bloggers to check out on IG :
@brooklynblonde1 – very stylish NY mama to be – great chic outfits
@melissasdressupbox – super stylish mama-to-be – great inspo
@trysomecolour – If you want affordable links to Maternity Essentials and to follow the reality of an everyday working mum-to-be with a toddler on tow – check out Cassandra’s instagram.
@dresslikeamum – great inspo for when the bub comes – real and fun
Need one on one help ?
Get in touch
Plus only one week until then end of the Subscriber Special
What I love about what I do is helping ordinary men and women reconnect with themselves, rediscover their Inner Style and express their personality and mood through what they wear.
* NEW YEAR * NEW YOU * SUBSCRIBER ONLY SPECIAL
1 hr at home Speed Wardrobe Review
2 hrs instore Style & Shop
1 hr online Sourcing/ Inspiration Boarding
Special Limited Offer Price $400 + GST
Terms & Conditions
* Valid for all weekday bookings made until 31 March 2016 only
* Full payment required to secure booking.
* Only open to Newsletter Subscribers
* Available for Brisbane, Gold Coast clients.
Interstate clients (my flights & accomm not included)
How to qualify for the offer
1. Sign Up to the Weekly Newsletter
– Enter your details into the Subscribe Now on the sidebar on the right >