Blame it on popular boho beauty icon Jessa from the TV series GIRLS, or the 70s revival but since 2013 palazzo pants /wide legged pants continue to grow in popularity and just keeps evolving.
I bought these patterned palazzo pants in 2013 and have worn them to death. Each season the styling of them gets a little different.
However, not all wide legged pants are the same.
Know your type for your bodyshape and style.
- High waisted –(usually no waistband) – full flare = Palazzo.
9 Reasons to love Palazzo Pants
1. Great if you want to accentuate the waist. Great way to show off crop tops or cropped swing cami (see first pic below)
2. Good option if you are pearshaped.
3. If you are not going anywhere near a crop top and are like me (over 40) -opt for a knotted sleeveless shirt, silky tank or short structured Tshirt.
4. Aim for floor-skimming and in a floaty, cool fabric – silk, viscose etc (unless you can do the palazzo crop – which is harder to pull off unless you are a Fashion Week insider )
5. Go for statement -bold colour hue -(yellow, cobalt etc) or a print – small pattern is most flattering – larger regular pattern (bigger than your fist) is harder to wear. Stripes work well.
6. Make sure you wear sandals, wedges, heels – show your toes.
7. A printed Palazzo looks sophisticated with a solid colour or metallic top.
8. Add a tailored floor skimming vest or kimono
9. Wear transeasonally with leather jacket (last pic below) + tights or boots.
Don’t forget to head to Pinterest Board – How to Wear … Palazzo Pants for more wide-legged outfit inspiration from the streets.
Not into the Palazzo?
Then try …
- lower waisted – tailored button & waistband = Wide Legged Slouchy / Straight wide Tailored Pant
7 Ways to Wear Wide Legged Slouchy or Tailored Pant
1. Looks really cool low slung slouchy or more formal if they are cinched in at the waist. Play with proportion.
2. Aim for floor-skimming – an absolute must !
3. Shoeswise – with super slouchy you can go for flats but depends on your proportions – heels are most flattering – points, platforms, sandals, boots (autumn/winter)
3. Great for tall ladies not a style for petite curvier folks without heels.
4. Accentuate a tiny waist or your curves with belt & close fitting top, shrunken tee pussy bow blouse, open collared silk shirt.
5. Sleek, simple structured vest tops that sit lower or oversized knits can add a great modern twist.
6. Add a tailored blazer or sleevelss tux vest for a stylish workwear statement.
7. Play with the High/Low – expensive high quality fabrics with lo-fi T shirt or simple vest.
The Crop Wide Leg
Yes in 2016 the crop wide leg is everywhere. Longer than a culotte and across everything from kick flare denims to cropped wide leg tailored pants. A more fashion forward look but as I say to clients Dare More Care Less – check out my pinterest board for up to date streetstyle inspo on Wide Legged options –
Let me know how you go !
Sally Steele, is the lady behind STEELEMyStyle and is a Personal Stylist, Shopper, Wardrobe Consultant, Life & Style Coach based in Brisbane with Clients all over Australia.
She is in her 40s, changes her hair cut and colour a lot, has two little kids and helps others find their inner style & love the life they are leading.
She lives a real life and knows how to navigate the challenges of everyday be it from stress, grief, overwork or just the everyday working Mama juggle in style & with a good dose of humour.
Follow STEELEMyStyle on Facebook
Follow STEELEMyStyle on Instagram
Follow STEELEMyStyle on Pinterest
See the spotty STEELEMyStyle mobile on the streets of Brisbane.
Read what clients and colleagues say about her
Get yourself or a friend or loved one out of their rut and back on track – read about Sally’s services here