To say I am a big lover of dungarees, overalls and pinafores is a bit of an understatement.
In fact on the last 7 day work trip – full of 2 shoots, 2 premieres and media schedule I only took a carry-on and apart from 2 event dresses and a leather midi skirt I wore the same pair of denim dungarees with 5 different Tshirts/tops and 3 pairs of shoes to mix up the looks.
Why ? They are extremely practical and easy to style.
You can see how I wear dungarees/pinafores on @STEELEMyStyle but often clients or people who read the blog think only scrawny gals like myself can get away with them.
So I was inspired me to gather pics from real women of all ages, shapes, stages and sizes wearing dungarees(UK), overalls (US) and pinafores to show you with the right choice of colour, shape and style you can rock the DOP..
Firstly some inspiration
Dungarees & Overalls
The queen of cool dungarees is definitely @DressLikeaMum – an amazing UK blogger I adore because she is fun, has kids and is changing perceptions of what mums should wear.
Stay tuned for more on Zoe on the blog soon.
STEELEMyStyle’s TOP DUNGAREE STYLE TIPS
- Don’t buy versions that are oversized but rather keep things simple and close to your body.
- If you are busty make sure you go for a wider bib.
- Keep the length slim to the ankle unless you are confident enough to rock 70s flared versions or cropped wide leg.
- If they are 90s versions – roll up the bottoms to show some skin to avoid looking like a misplaced painter’s apprentice.
- Make the most of them all year round by wearing opaque tights with short versions and boots for winter.
- Black versions are dressier – shop around for cool leather versions for extra edge.
Top Dungaree, Pinafore and Overall Looks
@abbycec – the stripes off the shoulder the bell sleeves – stunning outfit in seconds.
@lizzieandgeorge nails the classic mini pinafore and stripe Breton combo so well.
@iamterrib is a bit of a dungaree demon – this is just one of the many ways she styles them with utter class – check her out for more inspo – love the layering, colour combo and long checked coatigan.Dreamy.
@highlandemma simple but killer – another dungaree legend to check out – love the monochrome and off shoulder – easy to emulate and a winning outfit.
@jackie_chamb How gorgeous is this photo of double dungaree duty – too much cuteness all round adorable !
@seemeswoon works a pop of colour under her @BigW dungarees perfectly – simple & fun but with so much personality – love. Check out her pinafore dress style too :)
What to wear underneath ?
As you saw above the list is endless but some suggestions.
- Tshirt, button up, turtle neck, long sleeve, knit, – this year I have been wearing an embroidered “folk” Vitakin inspired top or sequins for a bit of a change.
What shoes to wear ?
- Trainers, ankle boots, pointed flats, block heels, stilettoes, depending on how you are styling.
Blue Denim Dungarees
sizes 4- 16
Topshop $94 – BUY NOW
Sizes 16- 28 (model is size 18)
ASOS CURVE -$93 BUY HERE
Pinafores are a brilliant alternative to dungarees whether you go for midi or shorter versions.
They are great to layer pieces under – off shoulder, tshirt, turtleneck, shirt, and add tights to to work any season.
Why go for a pinafore ?
- not keen on dungarees but like the bib feature?
- curvy and find dungarees make you feel dumpy ?
- unsure if dungarees look too childlike?
- wanting something you could wear to work ?
- short and keen to sleekify your figure ?
- a girl who just prefers a frock ?
- wanting something that feels more grown up ?
- heavier in the leg and don’t love the look of overalls ?
- unable to find dungarees that fit your body ?
(L – R clockwise)
@wondervol I adore this @Asoscurve black button pinafore dress teamed with stripe turtle neck tights and ankle boots – a perfect autumn outfit – I want it now.
@laurenburvill adds a cute print shirt underneath and styles with a fur and cute tasselled loafers to add a great vintage feel to a denim pinafore.
@ifesstyleroom shows that her @missguided pinafore can work for girls who like to be ladylike and wear heels – this pairing of yellow tan and denim is so cool.
@timeless_styling is a good friend of mine in real life and is Australia’s own Iris Apfel in the making. I made her go on instagram to share her creativity and style and now she has a dedicated following because of her ingenious individuality and design skills. This is an upcycled denim pinafore she made out of scraps of denim.. I know – dead set legend.
@annab34rLove the cream knit and leather wth a pop of beanie colour – wintry loveliness
@mrsbebeblog is a pinafore queen check out her IG for effortless and perfect pinafore styling – love.
Denim Pinafore Dress
Sizes 6- 18
Warehouse -$91 – BUY NOW
Black Pinafore Dress
sizes 6 -18
Warehouse $100 – BUY NOW
INSTAGRAM – Make sure you tag #SpotMyStyle so I can see you xx
Join in throughout May as well as just tagging all your posts – there is a highlight on Denim & Ankle Boots – How are you styling yours ?