I am bit partial to a bomber jacket – in fact in 1985 aged 14 I had a black satin one that I customised with badges and a massive picture of Nick Kamen..
Who’s Nick Kamen I hear you say ?
Do you blame me ..? Anyway I digress .. that can be my #throwbackthursday. If you are wanting to shake up your daily style and give your blazer, leather or denim jacket a wee rest the bomber is a trend that is not going anywhere at the moment and always comes back around at some point.
When is a Bomber a Varsity ?
Ultimately the style of the jacket is the same but the classic bomber jacket is that khaki version worn by skinheads in the 80s .. think Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting whereas Varsity has that American college jacket feel with the badges and contrast sleeves. Recently there has been such a mash-up of styles that really you can find whatever Bomber Jacket suits your style. Often with Personal Styling clients – no matter their age their first thought is – but what will I wear it with ?
So here are a mixture of women – some young, some mamas to be, or in their 70s – of all shapes and sizes rocking a bomber to give you some inso that no matter your style or shape there is a bomber out there for you.
Scroll down for some styling tips and where to buy.
24 + Ways to Style Bomber Jackets Whatever your Age
- With slogan sweatshirt, DIY paint-splattered cropped frayed vintage Levis, white collar & gold ankle boots
What can I say ? This is how I styled mine last week for school drop offs & work errands.
2. Over your gym gear An easy way to rock your active wear and hoodie make it look like you are just channelling Olivia Palermo who is a bomber jacket queen.
3. With T-shirt, Jeans and sneakers This is a good place to start – white, grey marle, stripe T-shirt – play around with colours and types of jeans and the sneakers – love this pastel palette and the khaki, grey camo combo.
4. Badged up medal laden version with white T-shirt, blue jeans and peptone booties.
Love this cool individual look. Great for day or night.
5. With White Button Up Shirt, Skirt & Sneakers
Sarah Rutson is a great style icon for anyone in their 40s who wants to be daring and adventurous but always oozing sheer class. I adore this look with her black bomber.
6. With Turtle Neck & Full Skirt
Giovanna Battaglia is a style icon for a reason .. personally I would opt out of the crop top version but keep it neat and lean on top. The colour combo is daring but it can look just as good with a more subdued palette.
7. With a Full Skirt & Trainers
This is not easy to do – but this lady from Ghent Street Style kills this casual vibe
8. Like Saramai
Effortless and so cool- 60 something jewellery designer rocks a monochrome palette athletic vibe her way.
9. With Beige and nude sculptural knits edge black boots and a whole lot of attitude
This is so grown up and gorgeous – Love both of these looks. One with oversized one neat.
10. With a turtle knit, ripped jeans, high tops and a coffee
This is soccer mum, school run drop-off – effortless cool mum Heidi Klum – love it.
11. Like Fashion Director of Vogue UK – Lucinda Chambers
At 53 Lucinda Chambers is such a great person to check out if you are worried about how to push the boat out and look incredibly stylish as you nudge your 50s and beyond. Love the eclectic mix of patterns and textures.
12. With White T-shirt, Blk jersey pencil skirt, necktie & Sneakers
Easy and cool sophistication
13. With Metallic Pleats, opaques and loafers
Metallic pleated skirts are everywhere at the moment too – see this post here on where to buy – love this slick cool look for work or play
14. An Embroidered version with all Black
This would work just as well with cigarette pants and loafers as it does here with this boho 70s vibe with flares.
15. With a maxi printed dress and loafers
This is fashion forward territory and I love it – Claire Beerman nails it – check out my Pinterest board to see it with maxi and sandals and maxi with sneakers.
16. In sweet pastels and metallics with a silk scarf
I think this is la Petite Anglaise and she nails the ladylike 50s retro vibe with a parisian twist.
17. As a sequin statement top with all black.
Love Tilda Swinton – An easy look to rock whatever your age.
18. With a jumpsuit and trainers
This would look equally good with a denim jumpsuit or with added heels for nighttime cool.
19. With a Pencil Skirt and Heels
Who better to show you you can rock a bomber look sexy and kill it at 58 than Carine Roitfeld
20. Layer it under or over another coat /jacket
Margaret Zhang looks so flawless in this option but anyone can play around and layer it under a leather or over something else.
21. Like Mary Berry in her 70s
Mary Berry from the great British Bake-Off made this Zara floral bomber sell out – even at 78 she rocks it and makes it her own. A great option for any age.
22. With Monochrome Patterned culottes & Block Sandals
There is so much to love about this standout individual look I really don’t know where to start. The monochrome palette but oh so playful and the pop of baby blue ..
23. With beanie, leather culottes and slip on skate shoes
This is effortless winter layering and so cool – love it.
24. With a knit or cotton jersey dress and sneakers
Love this look – especially cool on pregnant ladies
24 + Like OP
So many ways so many things to love – easy to emulate – just soak it in people
How to Choose a Bomber and Where to Find them
- Do you need it for warmth ? No ? There are heaps of silk versions that can add statement without weight.
- Is your wardrobe primarily neutrals and minimalist ? Yes ? Opt for khaki, navy or black (with contrast trim) for safe chic or metallic for out there.
- Is this an investment piece ? Yes ? Look at websites like Matches, Farfetch, Outnet The RealReal etc for high end versions or even ones in leather etc
- Are you just wanting to try the trend ? Look for options under $80 on Asos, Choies, Sheinside, TheIconic, Riverisland etc
- Are you keen to be sustainable or wanting one-off or Vintage Why not look at opshops ? (Where I found my one a few years ago) customise it with badges or pins, or look on Easy and Asos Marketplace.
- Do you like oversized pieces ? If not – make sure you look for a neat fitting bomber that hits your waist to keeps your silhouette
- Are you very curvy and heavy on the bottom half ? It will definitely not be as flattering as a tailored moto or jacket with lapels. If you are set on a bomber – try to avoid one that stops at your widest point so you get the most wear out of it. If you are 16+ size – Asos Curve have some great options – check out my How to Wear Bomber Jackets Pinterest board for some great outfit inspo by curvy girls to help you nail your desired look no matter your size.
- Are you petite ? Make sure you check out petite versions or teen stores to get the right proportions or look for ones that are not too long. Look on my Pinterest board for some great Bomber outfits – and try pairing with shorter skirts to keep proportions and avoid the bomber becoming overwhelming to your frame.
My Top 3 Picks Under $200
Why not go for an embroidered one in a fun colour – I love this TopShop one because it is reversible and comes in tall and petite versions.
Need more inspiration ?
Check out my Pinterest Board How to Wear Bomber & Varsity Jackets Follow me on IG @STEELEMyStyle – This is how I wore my bomber this week
With Sequin leggings, roll neck knit, vintage captains hat and sneakers
With High neck top, DIY cropped APC denims, Gucci horse bit anklebones & statement earrings
With Black bowl cut, breton stripes, midi denim skirt and studded ankle boots and cute 4yr old photo bomber
Check out my style inspo #SpotMyStyle #realstreetstyle for more real women of all ages showing how they style them.
Need one on one help ?
Get in touch –
Look forward to it x
Check out My Pinterest Board