I have to apologise because I realised I have been rather remiss of any Posts with styling or shopping for the Guys out there in ages. My Apologies.
For a while it has all been about the ladies. So I am trying to redress the balance.
In my work here in Brisbane, Australia as a Personal Stylist & Shopper I have over the last 10 days also had a run of male clients and realised their Style Challenges tend to sit firmly in the Casual/Casual Smart dept.
I posted by Top 5 Menswear sites last year and from my survey of a few ladies (& lots of men) about where they buy their clothes it is still covering most of the favourite bases. I will do an updated one with more interesting options.
We all know Smart and Black Tie is easy for guys – put any guy in a great suit and he looks unreal.
But cool everyday casual is always trickier.
And even the husband of a stylist finds it challenging.
When I got the car completely wrapped here – my husband’s first words were
“So um, what do I do if I want to go to Bunnings ?”
“Dress up babe …” was the reply.
I am of course kidding..well, just a tad …
Definitely no more heading to the bottle shop, supermarket or Bunnings (B & Q Aussie Style) in his painting shorts, destroyed Blundstones & ripped Billabong T shirt …. until he gets his Man-Van – a Hilux surf or similar.
Like most men I know, My dear Husband finds shopping tedious and annoying, unless it is for Books, DIY, Gadgets, landscaping materials, Farmer’s Gourmet markets or wandering around some quaint flea markets looking at interesting old antiques etc.
He likes to look good and well put together but doesn’t want to have to go from place to place, trying things on and doesn’t want to have to put much thought or effort into his clothes.
With a Personal Shopper and Stylist as a partner he has it sorted. And he knows it.
At the beginning of each season he just says what he needs – I go buy what I know he will like with a few more adventurous pieces -bring them home – he tries it all on in one go - invariably loves it all and we have an updated wardrobe.
Then along the way if I see an amazing Closet Keeper item – like a great transeasonal Suit or wool Pea Coat or Trench or Combat Jacket I get it for him.
So if you or your Man is looking like he needs a wee tune-up style wise here are my Top 5 Tips.
STEELEMyStyle’s 5 Easy Steps to sharpen your Man-Style
1. Layer Layer Layer
Don’t just shove on a T shirt or shirt or Footy jersey – play around with T shirts, Long sleeve Henleys, cardigans & jumpers under coats and heavier shirts worn as jackets in different tones & textures.
For some guys – the only time they wear a scarf is when heading to a match. Look at finishing off any look with a scarf – in Australia look for cotton, thin versions rather than a woolly scarf for more versatility. Instead of a bashed up faded baseball cap – try other options flat caps look great casually as do Fisherman hats.
3. Trainers are for Training
Look for different “smarter” sneakers in leather, suede and in different colours – grey, khaki, navy and different shapes – mid and hitop and start keeping your Asics or New Balance for the gym. Or go for a Faux -work boot style or try out a brogue or a loafer. Start broadening your shoe-drobe to expand your options.
4. Add a twist to something safe
Most men I know are a bit safe when it comes to colours or details. So push the boat out gently – try a simple navy jumper with elbow patches or a checked shirt in a different colourway – Instead of opting for dark blue, black jeans go for tobacco, maroon, green or really play around and do brights and pastels.
5. Try out a trend
Want to change your sunglasses shape or try a pair of boat shoes but don’t want to fork out if it is not for you – use the sales with Asos, River Island, Topshop and cheap Aussie stores like Kmart, Cotton On, Witchery, Taro Cash and the like to try something out and see if you like it – then upgrade to an investment pair if you love it.
In honour of my gorgeous husband – here is One Stop shopping and also to help you get in before all the good stuff is gone in the River Island 50% sale and snap up some bargains.
Here are some great pieces to update your wardrobe (or that of a man you love) and look effortlessly stylish whatever your Height, Shape or Age.
1. Navy Peacoat – A Classic jacket for any wardrobe - Now just $76 AUD (Sizes S-XXL)
Other on sale jackets & coats – click here
NON SALE -click here
2. Khaki Rucksack - Carry-all in style – 100% cotton - Now just $27 AUD -
Other on sale bags & wallets click here -
NON SALE – Click here
3. Grey Donegal Flat Cap – Swap the faded Footy Cap - Now just $8 AUD
Other on sale hats & accessories here
NON SALE – click here
4. Tan Contrast Trainers – Good with colored jeans, chinos, cords & denim – Suede - Now just $27 AUD
Other on sale shoes & boots here
NON SALE – click here
5. Green Blazer – work a bit of colour into your wardrobe – play safe with blues, green hues, browns or amp it up with brights and contrast prints. 100% cotton – (sizes XS- XL) Now just $91 AUD – Other on sale coats, jackets & blazers here
NON SALE – click here
6. Striped Mariner’s Long Sleeve T - A staple in any wardrobe – 100% cotton – comes in Navy/white option too sizes XXS-XXL – now just $8 AUD
Other on sale Shirts here & Tshirts here
NON SALE Shirts, T shirts
7. Grey Slim Trousers - Opt for a colored jean, chino, cord – feeling more adventurous go for turquoise, mustard or green – Available short, reg, long – 26 -38 in waist - Now just $30 AUD
Other on sale jeans/trousers here
NON SALE Trousers, Chinos /jeans
8. Blue Raglan Elbow Patch Jumper -Elbow Patch adds a wee hint of Grandpa chic to a simple sweater – Team with Button up shirts or Tshirts - Now just $18 AUD
Other on sale Elbow Patch & other jumpers/Cardigans here
NON SALE jumpers & cardigans
9. Navy Mixed Design Scarf - Add polish to any outfit or simple T -100% cotton - Now just $9AUD
Other on sale Scarves & other Accessories here
NON SALE Scarves here
10. Grey Boat Shoes – 100% leather – great addition to your shoe-drobe – Now just $30AUD
Other on sale boots & shoes here
NON SALE Boots & Shoes here
Asos is also a great site because it caters to all budgets – and has a wide variety of other brands and designers – they also have a great sale on at the moment so be quick.
1. Selected Joe Shawl Neck Cardigan – 100% cotton – (sizes S – XL) now just $57 AUD
Other on sale jumpers & cardigans here
NON SALE jumpers & cardigans here
2. Dockers Checked scarf – now just $21 AUD
Other on sale Scarves here
NON SALE Scarves here
3. Selected Trench Coat -a Closet Keeper – style staple and transeasonal thanks to the 100% cotton – sizes (S-XL) now just $139 AUD
Other on sale Coats & Jackets here
NON SALE Coats & Jackets here
4. Suit Classic Chinos - 100% cotton – why not go for olive green instead of greys, blacks or blues – ( sizes 29 – 36 in) - now just $71.42 AUD
Other on sale trousers & chinos here
NON SALE trousers & chinos here
5. Surface to Air Bato mint shirt - 100% cotton – why let the mint mania take you over – sizes(S-XL) - now just $108.83 AUD
Other on sale shirts here
NON SALE shirts here
6.Jack & Jones Leather Belt - everyman needs a black and brown leather belt in their wardrobe - now just $28 AUD
7. Ikon Kombat Work boot - likewise a great work boot is a staple that will be loved in your closet for years – whether in blk or brwn. 100% leather (sizes 7 -12) – now just $76 AUD
Other on sale Shoes & Boots here
NON SALE boots here
8. Penfield Oxon Satchel - navy & tan options – stylish – 100% cotton – now just $ 63.77AUD
Other on sale Bags here
NON SALE bags here – don’t dilly dally just buy a Cambridge Satchel in blk or tan
9. Asos Perforated Chukka Boots - a great smarter alternative to Converse in navy & grey – 100% leather - now just $44 AUD
Other on sale hi tops & sneakers here
NON SALE shoes & trainers here
10. Polo Ralph Lauren Tortoiseshell Wayfarer – now just $92 AUD
Other on sale Sunglasses here
NON SALE Sunglasses here
Need some outfit inspiration ?
Here are some men looking effortlessly & casually sharp.
Head to my Pinterest Board – Man of Style for more too.
Pics – Celebrity Pics via Zimbio (Pacificcoastnews, Bauer Griffin, Fly Famenet) – Street Style – Streetfsn.com, Pinterest & Asos )
Sally Steele, owner of STEELEMyStyle is a Personal Stylist, Shopper, Wardrobe Consultant & Style Strategist, based in Brisbane with Clients all over Australia.
See the STEELEMyStyle mobile on the streets of Brisbane.
Let Sally help you Get Spotted !
Contact Sally here or click here for Services.
Or Enter the STEELEMyStyle Competwition here for Online Personal Styling Experience – entries open until July 19 2012.